The project is the update of a beloved historic building in the community of Highlands. Built in 1913 as a commercial block with 2 primary storefronts and 9 luxury apartments, the building once boasted the latest in comfort and detail. Despite changing times, the building has maintained its integrity, its most recent uses being a restaurant on the main floor and a bed and breakfast above.
The project is an intelligent retention of the historic core, brick and main character defining elements of the original 1913 building, and significantly updating the commercial and residential finishes with a modern aesthetic. Keeping the building in place is the most sustainable strategy possible, retaining the embodied energy and materials for another generation.