Along with St Joaquim’s church, the Oblates Mansion forms part of the historic Mission Block in the Oliver Neighbourhood. The Les Peres Oblats de Marie Immaculees des Territoires de Nord Ouest were the first Catholic missionaries in the Canadian West. In 1883 they purchased a parcel of land from the Hudson Bay Company that evolved as the administrative headquarters of the new Ecclesiastical Province of Alberta-Saskatchewan. Completed in 1929, the Oblats Maison Provinciale provided space for offices and administrative functions, as well as residential quarters for the priests and administrators.
12,000 square feet
The building embodies the Renaissance Revival style and features a symmetrical front facade with a projecting front entrance topped by a pediment and a flat roof crowned by a cupola. The building is a designated Provincial and Municipal Historic Resource and works to the building must be undertaken in compliance with the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. Given our expertise in conservation and adaptive reuse Next have been engaged to revitalize the upper floors of the building as office space for Tarrabain Law and incorporate a main floor delicatessen and basement fitness studio.
A key component of the project is the introduction of barrier free accessibility and improvements to the life and building safety through the construction of a new stair and elevator enclosure. The new addition is located to the rear of the property to minimize the impact on the historic structure and comply with the requirements of the Standards and Guidelines. Internally the office spaces blend the old and the new incorporating features from the historic period into the new design.